Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Building and Maintenance of Trust

For Cliff

Follow up to The Lost of Trust 

If I had to pinpoint the breakdown of the family or any institution for that matter, it would be the lost of trust.

There is a lost of trust, as we see in our primary election. The options of the outsiders though seems undesirable. Slim pickings.

So how do we rebuild and maintain such trust. Trust can so easily be lost, it's fragile.

Last night I was visiting a private high school, the principal spoke of their policy of "no locks on the lockers". Now this is a rather small high school and selective, and there is little access to the public to the school.

"no locks on the lockers"

The students have to trust one another.

Wow!


I grew up with lockers, since the 4th grade. Quite young at the time, but do to the shift of school populations my grade was placed in a building designed to be a Jr High. It's now a middle school, serving grades 5th-8th. Living in the dormitories in college, trust no one. Trust no one. Rightfully so, especially in the UMass system 20 years ago.

Living in Lowell, we of course lock our doors, even with security alarms as a precaution.

Not every institution can have such an opportunity to trust one another, and this is a rare situation where it can be done.

Ideally this ability to form and maintain trust should exist in our homes. But does it happen? 

3 comments:

  1. Not much discussed, but a very important issue, made worse by lawyers.  Today, at the Hospital, I was asked to sign a waiver allowing them to share data with anyone (the "who" was a blank line).  Not just standard medical, but also alcohol, aggression, domestic violence, etc.  Is this the end of the physician/patient confidentiality arrangement?  More important, will this be a secret conduit until the unwashed figure it out and then it ends the last chance (except for your minister) to talk frankly about one's problems?  No trust, no confidentiality.

    I don't think this is to be sneezed at.  A breakdown of private trust will change society.  Not for the better.


    Regards&on but; —  Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applied for a job online, they wanted my social security number on their "secure" application software for a background check prior to even considering me for an interview!

    Declined that portion. At least it was an option. I have nothing to hide, but handing over a SSN with an online resume?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applied for a job online, they wanted my social security number on their "secure" application software for a background check prior to even considering me for an interview!

    Declined that portion. At least it was an option. I have nothing to hide, but handing over a SSN with an online resume?

    ReplyDelete