Thursday, January 7, 2016

The Lost of Trust.

For Cliff

It's been a while since I've written anything. My views haven't changed and there is rarely anything I have regretted. Most of the things I wish I could write about are too personal or confidential either discussion or events with friends and families or at the Department of Children and Families where I still volunteer.

There is a lot I wish I could write about. But I can't. Not out of fear of disagreement or hostile social backlash, but rather due to trust and confidence I have in personal and professional relationships.

If I had to pinpoint the breakdown of the family or any institution for that matter, it would be the lost of trust.

From the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

"Trust is important, but it is also dangerous. It is important because it allows us to form relationships with people and to depend on them—for love, for advice, for help with our plumbing, or what have you—especially when we know that no outside force compels them to give us such things. But trust also involves the risk that people we trust will not pull through for us; for, if there were some guarantee that they would pull through, then we would have no need to trust them.[1] Thus, trust is also dangerous. What we risk while trusting is the loss of the things that we entrust to others, including our self-respect, perhaps, which can be shattered by the betrayal of our trust."
So there's what I got for Cliff and anyone else who may stop by.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post.  I like the theme of trust.  Trist can be shattered and then where are we.  And, that shattered trust may not reflect reality, but only our own vision of reality.  The clergy abuse scandal is big in the Greater Boston area, and now we have a movie on the work of The Boston Globe on the problems in the Roman Catholic Arch Diocese.  OK, a lot of wrong doing, but also a lot of bad decisions, based upon hope over reality, and also some sense of higher purpose.  As flawed as Cardinal Law's actions were, I can't believe he wished evil on parishioners. But, he played on trust, a trust that no longer exists in large quantities.

    But, it isn't just the Roman Catholic Chirch, best I can tell. I wonder if beneath the reporting is a belief that if only the R/C Church had female clergy (or married clergy) this won't exist as a problem.  Did I mention my lack of trust in the news media?  And what does "the science" tell us?  Is this as old as dirt or is it new?

    So, the Protestant Minister, who gave is all that hope for success, Horatio Alger(1832-1899), got run out of his pulpit for, you guessed it.

    I am not asking you, but I suspect you see a certain amount of this thing in Social Work.

    Who can one trust?  All have sinned and fallen short, but we still have to trust, because otherwise life is too hard.

    I like the quote.

    Regards  &Amdahl;  Cliff

    ReplyDelete