Friday, March 27, 2015
7QT Llama Chases & Diamond RIngs
More Quick Takes at This Ain't the Lyceum
1. My daughter is dancing to "Yakety Sax". Yes, it's known as the theme to Benny Hill, but seen as a Tenor Sax solo or to Llamas it's quite enjoyable.
2. "No matter the cause a #children shouldn't feel #guilty for a lost/missing #parent in their lives."
It was a thought I posted on Twitter. Even if a missing parent was a dork (nice way to say a bad person), children have the right to acknowledge a lost parent..
3. It was a response to this
"This is sad. RT @washingtonpost: I’m a single mother by choice. One parent can be better two. http://wapo.st/19cwb7C "
4. How can one legally obliterate a father? Or Mother
""Elton John is literally promoting the obliteration of mothers—not by vilifying, but by pretending they don’t exist." http://fdrl.st/1rq "
5. I witness an interesting discussion on Facebook on the engagement ring. Specifically the moral concerns about deBeers and the mining of diamonds creating unethical/inhumane conditions in acquiring the stone.
There were many facets to the issue. Our culture sees an expensive ring as a prerequisite to marriage, this puts low-income men pretty much unmarriageable, when they may be perfectly fine as a husband and father. Money towards the home/student debt, instead of a ring. And we wonder why the average age of marriage is rising.
I didn't want to respond too much, because the conversation quickly went to accusations of heteronormative traditions the should be abolished. (Read abolish marriage since it acknowledges and bonds femininity/masculinity).
6. New show "One Big Happy" bombed in the ratings. Happy about that, because normalizing married men fathering children with another woman is wrong, even if the other woman is a lesbian and they used artificial insemination.
7. Maybe it's time to ditch the engagement ring?