Thursday, February 27, 2014

There are no parameters.

Nine years ago, and one of the reasons I started to blog was to set parameters on what I said on other people's blog. If I had something to say, I should get my own blog. If I wanted to comment on their blog, I had to remember I was their guest. Their blog, their rules. No matter how restrictive or lack of desiring for a different view, it was their blog. They could control the conversation.

Then came along social media. We had our Facebook profiles, but then it became a feed. It was no longer someone else's profile, it became MY feed. So if someone posted something I disagree with on another person's post, all of their friends could see my comment. And once it ended up for a headache for the person, who obviously couldn't 'pick sides'. 12 hours later, I sent that person a private message and apologized for overstepping my comments outside of my own posts and into hers.

Now there is Twitter. I like Twitter, but it came be a hostile place where there is no conversation and throwing slurs back and forth. People may retweet your posting/link in agreement of an idea, and an hour later you have some random guy calling you a troll.

There are no parameters.

Culture Wars: It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt -Elizabeth Scalia
I have reveled in the fast-paced give-and-take of the internet for many years, but increasingly, no one is listening to anyone. There is no more give-and-take, there is only take-and-shove-down
Just earlier this week, I was commenting on internet personality Tyler Oakley,
Recently a member of One Direction tweeted that he was a fan of Duck Dynasty, and Oakley in a very public way on Twitter stated he wasn't even open to have a discussion with others who may have a difference of opinion.

He also told his fans that if someone you know on Facebook like Chick-fil-a, that you should unfriend them. He makes his fans choose. If anything crosses Oakley, he uses his popularity to isolate and destroy others that idea instead of having a discussion about it.

That's not a friend, that's someone who wants to control you and shame you in public. Friends don't do that.

If Tyler and Liam really were friends, Oakley wouldn't go on Twitter. Instead a friend would pick up the phone and speak directly about their differences. Apparently everything is settled, but something that could of been settled without the misrepresentations online.
For Lent, I'm going to pick up the phone/visit face to face and talk and listen to people more.

No comments:

Post a Comment