Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Decade in Blogging (V)

This was an incredibly popular post, back in 2006 from Up On Christian Hill And yes I do indeed have painless births. I really don't know when the baby is coming, until I'm crowning and only need a few surges (contractions) until the baby is completely out. With my fourth child, I had to 'call in the nurse'. None of them were even in the room. When the nurse came in, she took one look and ran back out into the hallway calling for the doctor. If I didn't have other medical issues, unrelated to pregnancy/fertility I would probably have more children.

----------------

Pregnancy Update: Hypnobirthing Sunday, April 30, 2006

I’m currently reviewing Marie F. Mongan’s, “Hypnobirthing: A Celebration of Life” I used her techniques with a skilled doula to obtain a painless birth with my second child. Never really knowing what labor was suppose to be, I actually had a partially painless labor with my first. I remember each time the nurse asking, “Don’t you feel that!”

My response was. “Feel what?" Every time my stomach would tighten up so hard, it wasn’t until my water broke and felt back labor I ‘cried’ for the epidural. With my second it was so painless, even after my water broke at home I almost didn’t get to Saints Memorial in time and didn’t realize the baby even came out. Seriously, I asked the obstetrician what happened; she told me I just had a baby.

Even though I have criticism of Mongan’s personal experience that brought fear in her own birth process (which was misinterpreted Judeo-Christian belief), you can easily forgive such passages since her explanation of birth and labor makes sound sense from a medical point of view as well as a philosophical one.

One of my favorite passages, that I related to was right on page three.
“The premise of birth, by nature, had to be painful ordeal was totally unacceptable to me. I could not believe that a God who had created the body with such perfection could have designed a system of procreation that was flawed. Even more importantly, I could not believe that a loving God would commit so cruel a hoax as to make us sexual beings so that we could conceive and then make the means through which we would birth our children so excruciatingly painful.”
This exactly goes with my belief against artificial birth control, and why I so advocate the understanding of a woman’s body through the medical research of natural family planning. Being a woman whether if it is birth, trying to conceive, or avoiding conception isn’t about treating our sexual bodies as diseases it is something that comes with God’s love and understanding.

Think about women are taught about our bodies? In reality we are taught nothing about what goes on beyond our sanitary needs of our period and synthetic hormonal birth control because there is something wrong with our sexuality. It goes even further with pregnancy and birth, in which starting from a young age many of us are told horror stories about our mother’s giving birth to us. And even as we try to prepare for a normal birthing experience, we are given the negative advice of being told just ask for the epidural or sometimes even the thought of skipping birth and elect an c-section.

Beyond just the negative view of birth encompasses children, as general rules are harmful to our lives. Sure everything changes with children, and you do give up many material items but this is seen as a negative belief not a positive one of gaining love. Children ruin your life, and the onset in belief that the disposal of the unborn through abortion is not seen as the gravest evil that woman and men are mislead to believing as mere reproductive health only makes it more difficult to enjoy the truth and love that children bring us. .

Hypnobirthing has more about addressing negative views, then the idea of being hypnotized and in a trance. Some of the items she reviews later on in the book is understanding looking back at your own birth, other birth stories, previous labors, parenting attitudes, support, marriage, career, housing, medical care, finances, and prior relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment