Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Decade in Blogging (III)

Saturday, January 28, 2006
No one really cares, about your silly protest. It's not cute.

As for creating more hoopla, Lynn from "Left in Lowell" Posted an interested tidbit from Georgetown Law School. I thought the act itself was rather childish and an act of censorship. Apparently in protest and civil disobedience, the students turned their backs on a speech by Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, regarding issues of privacy and carried out a banner to block the speaker. This type of stuff turns me off.

Instead of reporting on the blog, that Lynn linked to what the speaker had to say and argue with facts and law, the poster just talks about ripping this guy a new "a**hole". The whole things reminds my of calming down my three year old when she is having a temper tantrum, and she just attempts to drown out my attempts with screaming to calm her down.

What usually happens is that I ignore her, until she realizes it isn’t working, and not until she is ready to cool off and listen. I come back we talk. I listen to her. I explain my actions, and she tells me her feelings. I thought civil disobedience was when we boycott, and write letters not drown out people completely, even if it was technically a silent protest, the point was to draw attention away from what was being said by rogue means. That’s censorship.

I know I shouldn’t give this any attention, because it doesn’t deserve it, but I just have to make the observation. People are more interested in just hearing themselves screaming, then to cool off and listen. Here is the article from CNN about the speech and protestors (excuse me, future lawyers), but you can watch Gonzales' speech there.

(2014) Spying is considered normal without any authority. We accept it. Than again we share everything on social media, something that wasn't as widely used or existed. Silent protest, who does that now?

-----------
Sunday, January 29, 2006
Correction and clarification on the Georgetown post

I recieved an e-mail from a law student from the school. He linked a statement from the Dean, who correctly defined censorship in the legal terms and the students despite being mischievous did nothing illegal.

Please read:

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/dean/deanpage/

Might not be censorship, but they are not helping their argument.

As a lawyer, I went to law school and passed the Bar in Massachusetts (More importantly I think in personal bias in my blog, not in terms of legalities), I'm just rather embarrassed that this is how a group who were smart enough to graduate from college be admitted into law school would handle the situation. Their argument was ineffective.

My children are young, and I teach them not to stoop down to such antics that were pulled by the law students. When my husband and I are in a heated discussion, I don’t turn my back on him. We’re adults. We listen. Just as adults who care about our freedom, we need to show the ability to listen with respect to arguments we disagree with, if we want the same respect.

It just turned me off, and our job as lawyers is to persuade. I don’t think they persuaded Attorney General Gonzales at all with their legal, but obnoxious stunt. The American public is the jury, so we have to becareful how we present ourselves.
I should reframe my thoughts, and be happy I live in a free country where people can make a poor display of behavior, where they have to live with the fact of natural consequences where I can judge them for lacking manners

(2014) Their argument was effective, even though nothing was done in terms of their political concerns. We usually use a form rapid response bullying, we use social media now instead of getting off our behinds to have a 'silly protest'. These student today look remarkably proactive with what I called back in winter of 2006 as "a stunt", they physically showed up to protest! "People are more interested in just hearing themselves screaming, then to cool off and listen." The narcissism has increased ten fold in last decade.

Georgetown Law School is known more about not cover free contraception, now a day then protests over illegal wiretaps. In a decade how we fell is amazing.


We’re adults. We listen. Just as adults who care about our freedom, we need to show the ability to listen with respect to arguments we disagree with, if we want the same respect.

You laugh when you read that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment