Thursday, January 16, 2014

7QT "lex et veritas"

More Quick Takes at Jen's Conversion Diary

1. My law degree I earned back in 2002.



2. In the reflection is the dining room chandelier with a few planets that glow in the dark.

3. When I entered Massachusetts School of Law in September 1999, I wasn't even engaged. Within three years I was married with my first child, by graduation.

4. "lex et veritas" translated into English is "Truth in Law". Best guess.

5. This week my grandmother passed, and I was asked a specific question at her bedside. It wasn't an important issue, but it was to her. Enough for her ask the question. I could of easily fibbed to the 105 year old woman, who at this point could barely take a sip of water without coughing it back up. Her cognitive state was clear, she knew who I was and she knew what she was asking.

My children were there, and I constantly remind them the importance of truth. Your integrity means something, and with a trusted adult you should tell the truth. If you feel it is a situation you rather not speak, then tell them you don't want to talk instead of lying. I wasn't about to fib to my grandmother, even if temporarily it would of given her comfort.

6. We lie. We're liars. We tell ourselves and others fibs everyday. They give use comfort or divert a conversation we don't want to have. Terms like 'choice', 'equality', 'dignity' have become white lies, they constantly comfort us as we deny a truth and redirects us. But we don't have Alzheimer's. Life begins at conception, life is created from the sexual act between a man and a woman, and life has a natural end even if takes some time before the individual passes.

How is it really favorable to our well being to lie to ourselves? That these realities don't matter. Short-term. Yes, but we can't properly solve problems if everything we're doing results in us having to lie to ourselves and others.


7. For all I know, I'm a liar too. I probably repeat the same lies all the time to myself, I actually believe them. Even though I go to confession once a year, something about having a copy of "an examination of conscience" lying around the house helps to keep myself more in check. My children can attest that I use profanity less often when I'm frustrated, and I catch myself (even after the fact) when I use profanity.

6 comments:

  1. Good post.  Hard questions.  But, we should try to be honest.  Besides making it easier to keep our story straight, it means people will believe you.

    Thanks

    Regads  —  Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Fiblets" are only to be used, for those with cognitive issues and for their safety.

    "The term “geriatric fiblet” was coined at the 2000 World Alzheimer’s Congress as “necessary white lies to redirect loved ones or discourage them from detrimental behavior."

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLsBwLhIVkk

    ReplyDelete
  4. It starts early, even when there is no need to lie.

    http://www.aleksandreia.com/2014/01/06/the-tooth-fairy-still-visits/

    Let me lie to you, and I will give you a dollar.

    I figure even with the truth, they get a dollar under the pillow. Now they are creeped out I go into their bedroom, while they sleep. But the truth is, if they want the dollar just play along.

    We never had Santa go 'all out', so as they age out they learn about gift giving/ charity doesn't mean you always get acknowledgement for it. They got what they wanted without going over 100 dollars. Plus underwear and socks. Christmas isn't Christmas without the gift of socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, the older I get, the easier it is to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can still be speaking with truthful terms while disagreeing with the conclusion.

    For instance if we are speaking in terms of rights of the unborn vs the rights of the woman in abortion and the same with marriage, it comes down to an adult view vs. a child view of family structure. As well with euthanasia we try to stop people from killing themselves, we don't criminalize people for attempting suicide themselves because we realize jail isn't the answer in its prevention.

    ReplyDelete