Friday, October 18, 2013

7QT I'm Grateful

More 7QT at Jen's Conversion Diary I'm usually take a serious tone of concern with my 7QTs, so I'm making an attempt to be more positive.

1. It's Fall!

2. Senator Elizabeth Warren responded to my email regarding responsible fatherhood.

"Dear Renee, Thank you for contacting me regarding programs to support responsible fatherhood. Every child deserves to grow up in a safe, secure, and nurturing environment. To create these environments, many parents need educational resources and support. Promoting responsible fatherhood can help support fathers, strengthen families, and give children a fair shot at success. The federal government supports a number of initiatives that help fathers and promote responsible parenting. Unfortunately, many of the government agencies that support children and families saw their budgets slashed as a result of the across-the-board sequestration cuts that went into place this spring. I believe that we must find a way to reverse the sequester, replace it with a balanced deficit reduction plan, and step up our investments in our children. I appreciate your reaching out to me on this important matter, and I will keep your thoughts in mind as I work to make sure that every child is given a real opportunity to succeed. Sincerely, Elizabeth Warren"
Yes, It's a standard form letter. The fact is that her office is responded. Everyone should try it.

3. Cardinal O'Malley had breakfast with 60 state legislators to let them know what the Archdiocese of Boston does.

""We are in 144 cities and towns in Massachusetts, represented by a lot of good men and women in the legislature, and they deserve to know what the Church is doing," Donilon added. According to an invitation sent to legislators who represent districts within the Boston Archdiocese, the lawmakers will hear from representatives of the Massachusetts Catholic Conference, the Archdiocesan Catholic Schools Office, Catholic Charities and related organizations.

4. 8 Thumbs up! Well, I got 18 thumbs down and my comment became hidden. It was Freak-o-nomics thread about hidden homophobia. I mentioned all my life I never equated the obligation created within marriage with homophobia, in fact real homophobia is now hidden. We recognize and fight against unjust forms of discrimination, and still defend marriage. It's just they are two different things. One can't displace the other.

5. I had my second quarterly meeting with the city's Animal Advisory Council. I was appointed last June, in the 'non-dog' owner seat. If you want to get involved in non-partisan public policy, check out opportunities in your own community. Washington may be dysfunctional, but your town doesn't have to be.

6. Over at Alexandria Ginny posts on a father's connection with his autistic son.

7. All of my children came home with really good progress reports. I have no idea why they are complaining about their satisfactory progress. Es are great, but Ss are fine. Seriously. If one of my kids were tanking in their academics we would let them know. Every parent wants As, but Bs they earned on their own means they understand the material. That's good.

2 comments:

  1. The federal government doesn't seem to have done a great job in encouraging fathers to be responsible. In fact, the more the federal government does, the less fathers seem to participate.

    As for the homophobia, whatever. You're an apostate now. The State is becoming a religious institution.

    ReplyDelete