Friday, March 8, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday

Hosted by The Conversion Diary

1.For Lent, I'm reading fiction, just to let my brain rest and enjoy a good story. Currently reading The Technologists by Matthew Pearl. It even has a reference to Lowell in there. The fictional story sets itself with the first graduating class of MIT, solving an incident in Boston Harbor. It bring so many historical elements into the story, including those Papists!

2. I had to explain to my oldest that marriage means something different by our government, then it does by the Church. I explained to her the Church is clear and concise with its understanding of marriage, along with its intent and purpose. The Church in simple terms connects that human sexuality is designed to create life, and without much verbiage can state, 1601 "The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament." In bold is no more then 35 words, and yes we have lost this understanding.

3. As a matter of necessity, I tried to explain what it meant to be gay. She understood the biology of sexual intercourse, and well the mere thought of the sexual act makes her grossed out, but she pressed on how sperm got to the egg and I had to tell her a few months ago. I asked her do ever think a boy in your class is 'cute', like in a way that makes you feel funny inside. She got embarrassed. I informed her some people never experience this attraction with the opposite sex as they get older (opposite sex is a term, she isn't use to). People refer to this as being 'gay', and in Massachusetts two men or two women can get married by the state's law and that the law had removed the idea that a child has a mother and father. I refuse to go into the subject of oral and anal sex at her age.

4.I also taught her some people may think, because we disagree with the state's new definition of marriage that we hate people who are gay, but as Catholics we are actually called to defend gay people from any unjust discrimination. 2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

5. This conversation reminds me of this old posting from May of last year. Me: Female choice key to evolutionary shift to modern familyThe courts can claim it is unconstitutional to recognize the legal status of such a relationship, but as a species it holds importance and deserves some respect. RobT:Renee, can you please specify the relationship that courts have said it's unconstitutional to recognize? As far as I know, it's still constitutional to recognize opposite sex relationships as marriage.Me:I'm not talking about marriage, I'm talking about something else. Any two people can be married.RobTOkay. I just don't know what "such a relationship" is referring to.Me:Me either. I do find it fascinating the adaptive change of females to have males be sexually exclusive and to be rewarded with evolutionary benefits. It can be seen in the socio-economic differences when the paternal parent resides and committed to the maternal parent and offspring. Amazing.

6.My son complained that other student's parents did their book report project for them. He could tell, by how perfect their poster boards were. Parents, we all want to help our children, but teachers know when you do their work. Don't make it a habit. My son did fine with his report.

7.My older children have taken an interest in the law, I allowed my daughter to read my law book on torts, we had a good discussion on the distinction between the difference between an accident and a mistake.

2 comments:

  1. I had progressive comprehensive sex education and the media of the 80s and 90s but atleast I was in 7th grade when it started. They even taught that anal/oral sex was normal, and legitimate means of sexual practice as long as it was done safely in 1989, and I was no more then 13 years old.

    My oldest, who will be 11, can barely wrap her head around sex. But then again we don't have a lot of media in the home, and she isn't in public school. But even in the K-4 in the public schools, sexuality seems to be a non-issue and kids are allow to be kids and focus on academics and recess.

    Ironically enough I will probably send my children to public high school, not Catholic. Many of the Catholic High Schools I find to be more or less just private schools who can't honest and speak the whole truth on our Faith. In Lowell, there is a Shrine right next to the High School as well. So even when I'm downtown, I just pop right in there for a few minutes of prayer.



    ReplyDelete