Sunday, January 20, 2013

"Re-Tweets" are not endorsements and prayers aren't either.

I noted a few days ago that Catholic Charities welcomed Elizabeth Warren at their Boston office. Anyone, including a politician who at times and often will advocate against the Catholic Church is welcomed. So today despite a lot to be desired of President Obama, his name and his upcoming second inauguration was a part of the prayer intention at Mass.

Pardon me, but I don't know. I know I should. I know that it is right, and if anything the President needs our prayers. Yet, I worry that too many non-Catholic and yes other Catholics, may see it as an endorsement of his policies.

Every year our parish sets up the calendar so you may designate a Mass to be said in honor of a deceased family member. I'm praying for the repose of their soul, not celebrating or honoring them. They're making a trip through purgatory before entering Heaven. We don't have ancestor worship in the Catholic Church.

I have to do penance for the Roe v. Wade anniversary. How awkward is it that Roe and Doe from Doe v. Bolton are both never had an abortion and are both pro-life? Weird.

1 comment:

  1. I think we pray for President Obama, and VEEP Biden, as we do for Senator Kerry and Senator Warren.  They are fellow human beings and our leaders.  We pray that they are open to inspiration from God.

    QUOTE
    St. Paul, 1 Timothy 2:1-4:
    “First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity. This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.”
    <><>

    Regards  —  Cliff

    ReplyDelete