Friday, January 11, 2013

Not good enough to pray for our President in public.

I struggle a lot, always trying to be respectful of our President for my children's sake. I totally sugar coat my concerns with his Presidency in their presence. I tell them this is America and I have the right and duty to disagree with the President as needed be. Much of the time I feel like I will be taken advantage for being 'too nice', and not as mean. I would get that a lot when I worked as a lawyer, for being 'too nice'. Maybe I don't want to give my children nightmares either and let them know how things have really fallen apart for our country.

So Evangelical Pastor Louie Giglio of Atlanta Georgia, raises 3.3 millions dollars to combat human trafficking. Impressive and respectably would make the right choice to give the Benediction for the second inauguration of President Obama. Wait... he like the guy from Chik-fil-a believes in the Biblical form of marriage. Giglio even in the past has spoken on homosexual acts as sinful, just like other sexual sins. The answer in his sermon wasn't hate, but change.

So be it, the Pastor withdraws.

Due to a message of mine that has surfaced from 15-20 years ago, it is likely that my participation, and the prayer I would offer, will be dwarfed by those seeking to make their agenda the focal point of the inauguration. (my emphasis)Clearly, speaking on this issue has not been in the range of my priorities in the past fifteen years. Instead, my aim has been to call people to ultimate significance as we make much of Jesus Christ.

10 comments:

  1. Surely you don't think you're entitled to tell the President who he should have preside, no? If he doesn't think this person should do it, is there a good reason to say he should do invite him anyway? On what basis? Would forcing him to have the guy do it be more respectful or less respectful? He's going to have fewer swearing in ceremonies than many people have weddings. Surely you wouldn't dictate who should preside at someone else's wedding, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The President asked him. The President wanted him there. Other groups pressured the White House, from Think Progress and the DNC financial powers weighed in to smear this Pastor as anti-gay rather then praise his ministry? We don't know if he was 'disinvited', rather we should take his word that he withdrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Doug Hankins www.doughankins.com is a Pastor from Texas

    "Again, my LGBT friends — if you want credibility in the public square, don’t use moments like this to practice reverse bigotry.  Louie Giglio is an incredible human being who has done much to advance social justice in the world.  And he is an incredibly beloved pastor and evangelical leader.  And he is a good man.  And he would have kicked the Obama Administration #2 off on a good note.  And having him on board brings spiritual blessing to Obama.  And you just stole that moment from our President and his team."

    We need healing and some common ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can certainly imagine a couple asking a particular religious person to officiate at their wedding only to find out an objectionable past afterward. In such a circumstance I certainly wouldn't find fault in the couple that would change their mind.

    Whether this particular guy would be a 'good note' is a matter of opinion. Clearly others disagree with his assessment and I don't understand why Obama is under some sort of moral obligation to agree with this guy as opposed to others.

    Simply put, certain rhetoric isn't polite among diverse liberal company. That this happened is just a reasonable consequence of that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lets look at this from a 'shoe on the other foot' perspective. GWB invites some particular preacher to do an invocation at his 2nd inaugural, only to discover a strong pro-choice position in this person's past and well established groups on the right raise objections. I certainly wouldn't feel any personal right to object to his being withdrawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree, but groups like Think Progress are more like 'One Million Moms'. Everything becomes a battle/protest/boycott. Gay people can be spokespeople for companies. Making a living isn't morally wrong.

      Would there be protest? Yes.

      But I feel the country is very much culturally divided and its sucks. It would of been really nice for this Pastor to dothe Benediction.

      Delete
    2. My reference to gay people making a living isn't morally wrong, is related to the protest of any gay person who just happens to be an actor/singer/celebrity.

      Delete
  6. Wait, I am confused here.  Is Renee a, God forbid, Canadian, or a not illegal to be illegal recent arrival from South of the Border?

    If she is, as I expect, a red blooded American, she has every right to tell the President who to invite and he has every right to ignore her.

    In my mind the tick here is that the Pastor was invited and then disinvited.  That is bound to upset a couple of Democrats down in Atlanta, Georgia, and a few Evangelical Democrats elsewhere.  And maybe the odd Mackerel Snapper Democrat.  As for me, I don't care, but I think Renee has every right, and perhaps, as a blogger, the responsibility to air this, so we can all take a look at it.

    Regards  —  Cliff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not every Democrat is progressive. In Massachusetts, we may fail to realize the span of the party views.

      Delete
  7. If 'One Million Moms' protested a liberal pastor who raised millions against human trafficking but had a differing view of Marriage, I would hope Bush would tell the mommies where to go that as a country we should atleast work together against slavery.

    Odd that a President of African Ancestry is disinviting a modern day abolitionist to appease the deep pocket special interests of his political party.

    Not odd, just really sad.


    ReplyDelete