Thursday, August 2, 2012

Discussing marriage is more then a 'like' or 'retweet'

Cross Post from Opine

Not sure how much of the social media/Internet meme conversations I can take. I'm glad I don't have to and I work offline face to face in support of families. It is rather bizarre, here I'm using terms like reunification, stabilization, and preservation of the family to help a mother and father parent together, but no specific relationship or any sort of policy that can bring them together as one legal recognized family unit.

So when you 'click like' or 'retweet' on all those lovely Internet Memes, it changes the conversation that marriage is about something else. Issues of public policy should not be reduced to gif images with a slogan or 140 characters that makes no sense in the context of reality. The points you just agreed with me two minutes ago, are now all of sudden something about hate and ignorance or unjust discrimination. Everything I may have said in a reasonable manner is erased, once I state the public policy interest in marriage was once about a child should live and be raised with its mother and father.

Anyone who knows me offline, knows who I am and they know I'm not that type of person that is characterize online by those who promote what is defined as 'marriage equality'. They know I'm not an ignorant bigot. The know I'm thoughtful and I listen, and that I care.

Despite everything some people know who I am and what I am not, I fear they will soon if they haven't already no longer associate themselves with me. I may lose people I care about offline, because I can't deny what I see and know when I'm not sitting in front of the screen.

There is an understanding we want a mother and father to parent and parent well together in a safe and loving manner, in fact it is their Constitutional Right to do so. Even if we can't make a law about it, can we have a word for that?

Renee Aste, Lowell Massachusetts

1 comment: