Saturday, May 19, 2012

Alternative Lifestyles

When I was 12 years old*, I began to listen to WFNX here in Boston. My best friend and I would just spend countless hours listening to the alternative radio station, as a preference to MTV, except for 120 Minutes. My high school boyfriend, two years older then me, was a saxophonist in ska band. One of my first dates with my husband was a Bostones concert in college. Saw Ben Folds Five a few times back then also, along with other WFNX sponsored shows.

WFNX 101.7 started in 1983 and for the past 29 years a cultural institution for anyone who lived in the area as a teenager in the 80s, especially the 90’s, and 2000’s. This week it was bought out by a corporate conglomerate. The local music scene was pretty established, and music played a big role in our lives. It also played an important part of the gay and lesbian community, with its radio program “1 in 10” that aired on Sunday Nights.

So tolerate, “1 in 10” even had former Mayor Ray Flynn on the show, if I remember correctly. Flynn, a Catholic became the Ambassador to the Vatican under President Clinton, then later one of the main supporters in retaining the definition of marriage as one man/one woman in Massachusetts.

When the news came out WFNX sold its radio license to Clear Channel, many individuals ages 30-45 are morning the lost. Clear Channel will replace the independent music format to talk radio, including Rush Limbaugh…

I can’t believe there is a market for Rush Limbaugh in Boston.

I can’t believe alternative rock is no longer in Boston.

I joked to my husband WFNX isn’t on the radio, but the Catholic Church has its own station after we heal from the scars of scandal and its cancer removed.

So here I am still in the Greater Boston area, and I look back at WFNX in the past. While it will be missed, just because you have a few fond memories in high school or smoking “cigarettes”, doesn’t mean you want to ever go back either. Just as I hate my parents at times for being stuck in the 60s, I refuse to be trapped in the 90s.

When I was 15 I wanted to be that non-conformist radical, society couldn’t understand. I got my wish twenty years later, just not what I expected though defending the importance of the one man/one woman is good for offspring thingy.

* Why yes, I did see the New Kids on the Block back in 1988 at the Lowell Auditorium. KNOTB opened up for Tiffany. I was eleven at the time.

4 comments:

  1. "I can’t believe there is a market for Rush Limbaugh in Boston."

    If we can support a Howie Carr, surely we can support a more moderate, yet intelligent voice?

    Regards  —  Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone as a child visited all the Kennedy locales during summer vacation, Republicans just didn't exist in Massachusetts. They just don't.

    Even today my radical social conservatism, is based more on a social justice concept. I don't identify with the Right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a view out there that as the two major parties have hardened up (the argument was that when there was still a "Solid South" the Democratic Party was a big tent, albeit narrow in the Deep South).  With the hardening of the parties (see Grover Norquist or Nancy Pelosi) you have more of a Parliamentary system than the congressional system we used to have, with shifting alliances.  But, before we blame the Tea Party (WBUR smeared the Tea Parties today just before noon), the Democratic Party throttle hold on Congress, and especially the House of Representatives before Newt should not be ruled out.  Remember House Ways and Means Chairman Dan Rostenkowski (D-IL)?

    Regards  —  Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, just reading about him now. Ruined his life over the misuse stamps, instead sex? Wow. Power makes you dumb in numerous ways.

    ReplyDelete